Is chewing gum an effective oral health care tool? According to various studies on the subject, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help protect your tooth enamel. The reason is due to an increase in saliva production, which can remove plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to remember about sugarless gum when adding it to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum helps brush away chewy or sticky debris that remains on your teeth and gums after meals.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after meals instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can suffer enamel erosion by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning systems such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– According to various studies, sugarless gum can help fight heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you experience any jaw discomfort or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
Don’t delay in visiting our team at Redwood Dental. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Troy Walton and our team in Providence, Utah, please call us at 435-571-0288. The smile of your dreams is only a visit away!